Friday, March 8, 2013

Antique Handle Caddy


I will be the first to admit that I shamelessly stole this idea from Donna at Funky Junk Interiors. I saw it shortly after I signed up for Pinterest and fell in love. 

So last summer I began the search for an antique drill, at a very reasonable price. They are pretty easy to find, but I knew I didn't want to pay much. So... I waited. And then, I happened upon this antique hand brace during the last few hours of a barn/estate sale right outside of town. For only $2.00. Now that's my kind of price tag! :) It still has what looks like a screwdriver bit in it. 
 I immediately told Eric what I wanted him to do with it. It was not on the top of his priority list, apparently, because it just got done about a month ago. But that's ok, because it did indeed get done! He is a man of his word, even if he is slow!
Just teasing, Eric! {love ya}

I have no idea how he put it together. I didn't even bother to ask, because I was way too excited! But Donna gives an excellent tutorial on her blog at the link above.  
The timing actually couldn't have been more perfect. Right after he finished the caddy, I received my new shipment of Ce Ce Caldwell's sample size paints. And I was just itching to try them out. I picked the Traverse City Cherry because I've seen some nice things done with it and I don't usually lean towards red. But, boy, am I glad I did!
I painted the entire thing in red (it's a very beautiful red, by the way!) and then did a splotchy (that's the technical term, right?) topcoat of Virginia Chestnut. Then I distressed it and used dark aging wax over the whole thing. 
I think it looks a lot like barnwood. 
And I LOVE it! 
Hope you enjoy it too :)


Everyone loves a good party!
Check my project out along with other great inspiration, at these great blogs...

One Project at a Time at A Bowl Full of LemonsTransformation Tuesday at The Ironstone NestMonday Funday at Creatively LivingNifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal CharmThe Scoop at Cedar Hill RanchProject Inspired{d}at Cupcakes and CrinolineYou're Gonna Love It at Kathe with an ETransformed Tuesdays at PJH DesignsTweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little HouseTake a Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee CraftsPrimp Your Stuff Wednesday at Primp JunktionBe Inspired at Elizabeth and CoPretty Things Link Party at twelveOeightTime to Shine at A Diamond in the StuffToo Cute Tuesday at Funky Polkadot GiraffeThe Power of Paint Party at Domestically SpeakingCreatively Tuesday at The Rustic PigShow Me What You Got at Not Just a HousewifeShare It Link Party at The Winthrop ChroniclesTasteful Tuesday at Naptime CreationsTutorial Tuesday at Hope StudiosTrash 2 Treasure at Kammy's Korner




Pin It button on image hover